Friday 11 April 2014

'Guilty-Pleasure' tunes to get you ready for the weekend.

When people refer to songs being 'guilty pleasures' they are normally talking about cheesy pop songs from the 80's, 90's and 00's. For me, those songs do not make me feel 'guilty' at all. I frequently listen to that type of music, and not at all in an ironic way.
What does make me feel guilty? My love of songs that are ridiculously sexist, contain obscene amounts of swearing, and glamorize violence. Why on earth do I love these songs? I can try to explain it, except that I don't fully understand it myself. I think I like the 'roles' that rappers play, knowing that they usually go home to a fairly average looking wife and do normal things. So these are some of my 'guilty pleasures'. They work for everything from pre-drinks on a night out to doing the dishes to singing in the shower.
Don't judge me, I feel guilty enough.

'Birthday Song' 2 Chainz feat Kanye West
This truly is a ridiculous song. But when Kanye jumps in on a song about butts, you know he really means it.
 
'F**kin' Problems' A$AP Rocky featuring Drake, 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar.
At least in this song the men are the ones with the problem. They aren't necessarily blaming the 'bad bitches' they are blaming themselves for going for them. And yet you keep going back to Rihanna, don't you Drake? Will you ever learn?

'Talk Dirty' Jason Derulo feat 2 Chainz(2 Chainz 3 times!!)
This is just fun. It got a little overplayed when it was released as a single, but I love it again now. It makes me wish I was an awesome hip-hop dancer.
 
'Can't Believe it' Flo Rida feat Pitbull.
What I can't believe is THIS video! Its actually so absurd I have never watched it the whole way through, but what I did watch made me laugh my head off! All the butts- oh so many butts!!
 
'Get Low' Lil John & The East Side Boys.
A older one, but a good one. Let it be known that this is not the explicit version. The version I have refers to sweat on balls and bitches crawling. Weirdly, this song reminds me a lot of home. It pretty much sums up a night out in Newy when I was a youngin'.
 
'SMS(Bangerz)' Miley Cyrus feat Britney Spears.
Surely I don't need to explain the 'guilty' element here. Its by Miley. That's enough guilt for anyone. And good lord, the lyrics are freaking ridiculous why does Britney just randomly say the word 'Acrophobiac'?  I'm sure neither of them really know what this song is about. I do love the 'where my grill at?' line though. Its so bad its good.
 
'Murda Bizness' Iggy Azalea feat T.I
This is not that high on the guilt scale, but its still absurd that I love it so much. For starters, the spelling of the title is stupid. Also, when have I ever had 'a stack a hundreds, a bunch of fifties'. Like its not as though I can relate to this song in the slightest. I am such a girly wuss- I would never be in the 'Murda Bizness'. But yeah, I guess that goes back to loving the 'roles' that are played in the rap industry. I don't know that Iggy would ever 'piss on hoes' either.
 
'Hunter' Pharrell Williams.
After being such a big part of 'Blurred Lines', ie, the catchiest, creepiest song ever, I really thought it would have been wise for Pharrell to steer clear of anything that could make him sound like a sexual predator. Instead, the catchiest song on his latest album is called 'Hunter' and features lines such as 'Taxidermy is on my walls/With the full description of the killin' calls/I'm a hunter/Cupid, thank you for what you did/But you can't aim and get what I get/I'm a hunter' and 'Ain't no sense in you holdin' on down/If I can't have you, nobody can/This an animal singin' that'll hunt you down'. I can't reiterate enough how much I love this song, I just have to ignore references to taxidermy.
 
'Like U Like' Aggro Santos feat Kimberly Walsh.
I feel bad for Kimberly that this song wasn't a bigger hit. Its super catchy, and her body shape is ready made for hip hop- her super flat stomach and her sizeable butt make her perfect for the genre. But yeah, this is cheesy as hell. The opening line is probably the cheesiest 'They call me chef, they like the way I mix it'.  This is one that I would not normally admit publicly to liking. Strictly for nights when one has had a few drinks!
 
'Goodies' Ciara feat Petey Pablo.
I never really thought about how silly this song was until it came up in my shuffle straight after 'Sugarlumps' from Flight of the Conchords. Its basically the same song. Its exactly what they were going for.
 
'We dance on' N-Dubz feat Bodyrox.
I am ending with one that is more in line with classic 'guilty pleasures'. This is a 'guilty pleasure' because its just embarrassingly cheesy. But isn't any song from a dance movie going to be good like that? I love when this comes on when I'm out for a walk on a nice day. I hate when this comes on and other people hear that I am listening to it. Its just so cringey. 'Ain't gonna work for life when we know we can dance o-on'. Those are beautiful words right there.
 
I hope you enjoyed what was a soul-bearing experience for me. If you have any 'guilty pleasures' you would like to share, drop us a comment :-)
-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment