Thursday 15 May 2014

Home on the Range: My Australian Diary part 4

I'm finally at the end of regaling the tales from my journey to the homeland. It's been fun reliving the adventure and sharing some of the best bits of my hometown. For our last week of holidays, we tackled some more touristy activities (had to make sure the boyfriend saw some of Brisbane's great sights!)

Our first trip was to the Queensland Museum to check out the Deep Sea exhibit, as well as some native flora and fauna on display there. Sound boring? It was actually really interesting seeing and experiencing the enormous depths of the ocean. The giant squid and submarine simulator didn't hurt in drawing me in either!

(Yes those are real snakes!) 

It was a bright, sunny day so I took the opportunity to bust out my new Bardot fedora. Here's what I was wearing: 


Top: Topshop
Jeans: Sportsgirl
Sandals: Penneys/Primark
Necklace and Bracelet: Penneys/Primark
Sunglasses: Found in my drawer at home ;)

The next day, the family took us for a road trip to the top of Mt Cootha to view Brisbane City from it's highest point. Afterwards, we hit up The Emporium in Fortitude Valley for some luxurious desserts at Freestyle Tout.

The view of Brisbane from the top of Mt Cootha

I'm wearing a Penneys top and sunglasses, vintage Levi's shorts and vintage belt. 

A delicious hot fudge brownie at Freestyle (50/1000 Ann St, Fortitude Valley)

Fergal and I decided to hit the water and do a day trip over to Moreton Island. I'd actually never been before, despite only being an hour away. 

Our first activity was a guided snorkel tour through the Tangalooma Wrecks. After we were kitted out with wetsuits, flippers and snorkel gear, we took a short boat ride over to the ship wreck. Not going to lie, I was a bit nervous jumping into the water, but once you adjust to breathing through the snorkel, it's all smooth sailing. There are scores of colourful fish and coral and we even saw 3 sharks! Don't fret, they were Wobbegong sharks and aren't interested in eating us for dinner. They're actually pretty cute with their little hairy beards! However, when one is swimming towards your head, you suddenly start to doubt their intentions!

Aerial view of the Tangalooma Wrecks (photo from comegliding.com.au)

Snorkelling through the wrecks (photo from daytours.com.au)

Snapshot of a Wobbegong shark (rtseablog.blogspot.com)

After our snorkelling adventure, we learned to sail a catamaran. We nearly had a domestic during our first five minutes on the water, but once we hit the wind correctly, we were flying it! There's plenty of other activities to choose from such as kayaking, paddle boarding, fishing and sand boarding. Of course, with a beach that beautiful, it's nice to take the time to just chill out and enjoy it. 


So this concludes my Australian adventure. It was so amazing to catch up with my family, friends and reconnect with my beautiful hometown. I love and miss you all very much! Thanks for having me back and showing me a great time! I'll see you all soon... 



- Sinead xx

















No comments:

Post a Comment