Sunday 16 February 2014

Hussies Vs Hotties

I need to begin by pointing out that I'm not entirely sure what the point of writing this is- but my opinion of this video is so strong that I HAD to say something...OK?!
At this point in time, it would seem that Shakira & Rihanna's offering Can't remember to forget you has around 150million views on YouTube. Yes, that's a lot of views. But surely I'm not the only one who felt somewhat disappointed by the collaboration? From the song to the video, I felt let down by these 2 international pop superstars, who surely could use their powers for good. Maybe my hopes were too high, maybe the Shakira/Rihanna combo was never going to live up to the might of a Beyoncé/Shakira hook up, but something about the whole affair is downright tarty.
Yes, tarty...they have come across not as sensual & sexy but just as common hussies. I can't watch the video without thinking of 2 desperado girls in a nightclub, dancing sexy with each other, hoping to get the attention of every/any guy in the room while dressed like they belong on an episode of 'snog marry avoid'. The weird dancing against the wall and the awkwardness of the bed scene are rather cringe-worthy, and not to mention, completely predictable(the cigars, really?!). The video's director Joseph Kahn did nothing at all imaginative or clever with these two, clearly stunning women.
Now I'm sure straight men and gay women the world over probably disagree with me. That's fine. And to clarify, obviously they're both hot. It's just they are both so hot, I don't think it's necessary for them to try to hard! They don't need to.

This is wear I ask readers to take a look at what I consider an exciting moment in modern pop music history. Beyoncé and Shakira's offering from 2007, Beautiful Liar. I have heard others comment before, that Mrs Carter is the queen of sexy-not-slutty(amoung the many other things she is queen of) and I completely agree that this is Beyoncé's forte. The thing is, Beautiful Liar still contains weird wall-dancing, as well as weird lying down boarderline-interpretive-dance, but it doesn't have the try-hard cringe factor that Can't remember to forget you has.
So why doesn't it have the cringe-factor? Lets take a look. They are pretty much fully-clothed throughout for one, and yet still show off their bodies as well as their beauty. They hardly touch each  other either- the dancing, the music, and the lighting have all combined to create a scene that is sexy enough- they simply don't need to stoop to that level.
Basically, I am pointing out to readers the thing that I think we can all learn from these 2 videos. Sexiness does not necessarily come from writhing around in your underwear on a bed with a phallic object in your mouth. It can be more mysterious, and shockingly LESS scantily-clad. The other clear lesson is that Beyoncé really does know how to steal a show(sorry Kelly and Michelle). She is truly the modern queen of pop, with Shakira, and, yes, even Rihanna as mere princesses.

- Emily
 

No comments:

Post a Comment