Wednesday 26 March 2014

Pic's Girls Take...

So this whole No-Makeup selfie thing got me thinking about why people take photo's these days. Photo's are no longer taken to document birthdays, travels, significant life events or personal achievements. No, I guess I am stating the obvious when I point out that photo's taken by this Millennial Generation are more often than not for self validation. Apparently people can't just be pleased with themselves for going to the gym, they need other people to be pleased(aka jealous) for them. We can't just look in the mirror and think 'wow, I look nice today!'. Apparently that's not good enough. Young ladies of today need their friends to comment 'wow u look gorg babes! xx' or 'looking fab hunny!! xxx' underneath their uploaded selfie.
So basically, I am not a selfie fan. I think for starters, despite being younger than the selfie queen herself, Kim K, I am about 10 years too old to truly 'get' this phenomenon. If you are thinking you have seen selfies of me before though, you might be right. Yes, I am guilty of joining a friend on a night out for a group selfie, or taking a picture with my husband when there is nobody around to take one for us, but this taking a picture in the bathroom mirror just because I think I am looking hot? No way.
So the no-makeup one was something that really bothered me. Was it really and truly THAT confronting for so many women to do? Do these young women of all shapes, sizes, ages, intellects, races and nationalities really think that going without makeup in a photo is something we should be praised for?? Whatever happened to climbing a mountain, shaving your head, running a marathon or fasting for charity?? Apparently all we have to these days is bear our natural faces and somehow that raises cancer awareness.
If you are reading this, you are probably not a celebrity. If you are a celeb, then maybe the no makeup selfie was a little harder for you, given we are only used to seeing you looking perfectly airbrushed and made up. If you aren't a celeb, I would like to think that people see you on a regular basis without makeup, especially your friends. Either way, celeb or not, GET OVER YOURSELF and ask yourself why you took the no makeup selfie. Was it really for cancer awareness, or was it so your 'friends' would say things like 'you look absolutely gorgeous hun you don't need even a speck of make up!' and 'You look 1000 percent fitter here babe! U don't need makeup at all xxx' ??
Why did I do one? Because my friend Niamh 'nominated' me, and I know she had the best intentions. She was not begging for comments like those above- she is a sweet, optimistic person and I genuinely believe she took part for the 'right' reasons. I felt like I would be in some way letting her down if I didn't do it, and I didn't want to be the pessimist who proverbially rained on her parade!! As well as this, I wanted to use it as an opportunity to rant, and rant I did. But I had too much to say, hence this article.
I have decided to compile my list of 'Pics Girls Take'. Some of us will be guilty of all of these. Some of us, none at all. Either way they will have at one point or another spammed our facebook feed and filled our instagram. I thought I was going to be able to put them all in the one article, but alas, I got carried away, and now there are way too many- so I will publish these over multiple articles. Consider this your introduction. Enjoy!

THE BLATANTLY VAIN


What?: The title of this photograph speaks for itself. Its blatantly vain. There is no other reason to take this photo, other than to share it, and wait for the compliments to roll on in.
Who?: The queen of the genre? Kim Kardashian, obviously. Supermodels, reality stars and chicks-you-know-who-think-they-are-models are also guilty of The Blatantly Vain.
How?: Use a mirror to take this selfie, which can be a close up of your pouting face, or a full body shot of you in a scantily clad outfit. Bonus points if you manage to get both your butt and your pout in shot.



 

HOT DOGS OR LEGS?

What?: While of course I had seen these photo's before, it was my dear husband John who introduced me to the term 'hotdogs or legs?'. Basically, a chick is on the beach or by the pool. She is loving her life right now and she wants you to know she is there and you aren't. Depending on how hot she thinks she looks in her swimsuit, she either takes a photo of her feet, her whole body minus head, or just her 'hotdog' legs.
Who?: This photo can be taken by a broad range of ladies- like I said, if you aren't one to boast, you will just take your feet. If you are a supermodel, wannabe model, or generally a chick who fancies herself, you will take the full body or the hot dog legs.
How?: The next time the sun is shining, get your 'kini on and run to the seaside. Make sure you've shaved your legs and whacked on some tan, and get snapping. Bonus points if your legs are glistening in the sun from water droplets, or your toes are covered in sand.
 
 

 

seriously, hot dogs or legs??!

 

 WE ALL NEED TO PEE

What?: The 'We all need to pee' involves the strange phenomenon of a group of women posing together, crouching for no reason at all. 'Maybe they are crouching to be the same height as the smallest member of the group?' you are thinking to yourself. The answer is no, the smallest person is also crouching. 'Maybe they are all trying to fit in the picture?' No there is plenty of room above their heads.
Who?: You, me, everyone. We have all been guilty of this one, maybe without realising. I found a picture that I feature in, taken on my wedding day, where I myself am doing the 'We all need to pee'!! Its a strange one, its essentially one for the X-Files.
How?: Gather your girlfriends, head to a hen party, wedding or any old 'girls night out' and get your squat on!
Lee (on the left) is a small lady. Harmen is a tall man. Despite this, we're ALL doing the 'We all need to pee'. Yes, Even brides and sometimes even males, need to pee.

 
 
 
 
 
That's all for now guys. But get excited as next time I take a look at 'The Workout Selfie' 'The Nonchalant Hipster' and 'The Woo! Girls'. Get in touch if you can think of any other 'Pic's Girls Take' that you think I might be missing.

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment